ARTICLE IV: MEMBERSHIP
- Section 1: Classes of Members
The Society shall have six classes of members:
a. Professional member
b. Honorary member
c. Associate member
d. Corporate member
e. Member emeritus
f. Student member
- Section 2: Professional Member
a. A person holding a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in food science or technology and actively engaged in food processing for a period of at least 2 years, or
b. A person holding a Master's degree or Doctor's degree in the field of food science or technology, or
c. A person who holds a Bachelor's degree in science and has had a minimum of 5 years experience in food processing industry and holds a responsible position therein, or
- Section 3. Associate Member
a. A person who holds a diploma in food science and technology or is engaged in food processing but not classified as professional member.
b. A person who in the opinion of the Committee on Qualifications, can be accepted as an associate member by virtue of experience, specialized training, or contribution in the field of food science and technology.
- Section 4: Student Member
A person in full time attendance in courses directed towards a career in food science and technology.
- Section 5: Member Emeritus
This will be an honorary title bestowed upon a professional member who has retired from his vocation, and who, in the course of his career, has contributed services to the food technology discipline and/or the Society.
- Section 6: Honorary Member
Any person whose achievements in the promotion of food science and technology entitle him to special recognition.
- Section 7: Corporate Member
Corporate member shall be a corporation or firm engaged in the manufacture, distribution or sale of foods, their products or supplies (ingredients, chemicals, etc.) and machinery used by the food industries.
- Section 8: Application
An application for membership must be made on the official application form and sent to the Secretary.
- Section 9: Fees
Members shall pay such yearly fees as may be determined by the Council and approved by the members at the Annual General Meeting. Emeritus and Honorary members shall be exempted.
- Section 10: Withdrawal of Membership
Any member may withdraw his/her membership by delivering a written resignation to the Secretary of the Society.
- Section 11: Suspension of Membership
For some cause any member may be suspended by a vote of the Executive Council. The officers of the Society may readmit any former member.
ARTICLE V: OFFICERS AND COUNCIL
- Section 1: Officers
The officers of the Society shall include President, two Vice-Presidents (one from the public sector and one from the private sector), Secretary, Joint Secretary, Press Secretary and Treasurer.
- Section 1: Officers
The President shall be a professional member and the executive head of the Society. He shall preside over all meetings of the Council. He shall have the powers to sanction all expenditure and operate accounts of the Society jointly with the Treasurer.
There shall be two Vice-Presidents, one from the public sector (research or teaching institutions) and one from the private sector (industry). The Vice-President senior in age assist shall assist the President in performance of his duties and shall preside over the Council meetings in the absence of the President. He shall also enjoy the financial powers of the President in his absence.
The Secretary shall keep all record of the Society including minutes of all meetings of the Society and the Council. He shall keep a roll of the members and such other books of record and accounts as the Council may desire. He shall initiate the formation of various committees on the direction of the Council and get these approved from it. He shall have the financial powers to approve expenditure up to Rs. 5000.00 at a time.
D. Joint Secretary
The Joint Secretary shall assist the Secretary in performance of his duties. He shall perform the same duties and enjoy all the powers of the Secretary in his absence.
E. Press Secretary
The Press Secretary shall be responsible for publicity of the activities of the Society. He shall liaison with the press and issue all press statements.
The Treasurer shall have supervision over the funds, securities, receipts and disbursements of the Society funds and shall submit a statement of cash accounts to the Council as may be required. He shall deposit all funds of the Society to the credit of the Society in a bank selected by the Council. He shall operate the Society funds jointly with the President. He shall present an audited statement of the accounts of the Society at each Annual General Meeting.
- Section 2: Council
The Council shall consist of the Officers, Presidents of the Student Chapters, Chairman of each Chapter and the immediate past President.
- Section 3: Term of Office
The members of the Council shall be elected for a term of two years.
- Section 4: Meeting of the Council
The Council shall meet periodically as and when a meeting is called by the President.
- Section 5: Special/Emergent Meeting of the Council
The President, when he deems necessary, or the Secretary, at the request in writing of at least five (5) members of the Council, shall issue a call for a special/emergent meeting of the Council. Only 10 days notice shall be required for such a meeting.
- Section 6: Quorum
At all meetings of the Council, a quorum shall be constituted if 40 per cent of the members are present.
ARTICLE VI: ELECTIONS OF THE COUNCIL
- Section 1: Officers
The Professional members shall elect each two years a President, two Vice-Presidents (one from public and one from private sectors), Secretary, Joint Secretary, Press Secretary and Treasurer.
- Section 2: Chapter Executive
Members of each Chapter shall elect a Chapter Chairman, Chapter Secretary, Chapter Press Secretary and Chapter Treasurer every two (2) years within one month from the election of the Officers of the Society. The Chapter Chairman shall be a member of the Executive Council by virtue of his designation.
- Section 3: Student Executive
Members of each Student Chapter shall elect a Chapter Chairman, Chapter Secretary, Chapter Press Secretary and Chapter Treasurer every two (2) years within one month from the election of the Officers of the Society. The Chapter Chairman of each Student Chapter shall be a member of the Executive Council by virtue of his designation.
- Section 4: Vacancies
The President with the consultation of the Council shall fill vacancies occurring among the Officers of the Society. Those occurring in the Chapters shall be filled in a similar manner by the respective Chapter Chairmen.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS
- Section 1: Annual General Meeting
A general meeting of the Society shall be held annually at such time and place as designated by the Council. Elections of the Officers, when due, shall be held in the Business Session of the Annual General Meeting.
- Section 2: Special General Meeting
Special general meeting of the Society may be held at such time and place as may be designated by two-third vote of the Council or 20 per cent of the professional membership.
- Section 3: Quorum
At each annual or special general meeting, thirty three (33) per cent of the members entitled to vote shall constitute a quorum. In case, the quorum is less, the President may adjourn the meeting and recall emergent meeting after 15-30 minutes. In such emergent meeting, quorum shall be 20 per cent of the members entitled to vote.
ARTICLE VIII: FISCAL YEAR
- Section 1: Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of the Society and the Chapters shall be from January 1 to December 31.
- Section 2: Audit
The accounts of the Society shall be audited after the end of each fiscal year.
ARTICLE IX: COMMITTEES
- Section 1: Finance Committee
This Committee shall operate the funds of the Society. President shall be the chairman of the Committee consisting of not less than three (3) members of the Council and the Treasurer.
- Section 2: Publications Committee
The Council shall appoint three Professional members of the Society on the Publications Committee. The Chairman of this Committee shall be the Editor-in-Chief of the Society's Journal. The Committee shall be responsible for undertaking all publications of the Society.
- Section 3: Meetings Committee
This Committee shall consist of not less than three (3) members of the Council and will be responsible for any aspect of the annual and special general meetings.
- Section 4: Qualifications Committee
This Committee shall consist of the President, Secretary and one other member. It shall determine the eligibility of the candidates applying for membership of the Society.
ARTICLE X - LOCAL CHAPTERS
- Section 1
Not less than 15 professional members of the Society within any Administrative Division(s) may make application to the Council to organize a Chapter. Such application must be approved by unanimous vote of the Executive Council.
- Section 2
Such local Chapters shall be governed by bylaws adopted by the Chapter in accordance with such regulations as shall be prescribed from time to time by the Council of the Society. The Society reserves the right by action of its members of the Executive Council to recall any Chapter charter at any time. In case of revocation of any Chapter charter, the Chapter may appeal to the Society at its next AGM.
- Section 3. Regulations Relating to the Local Chapters
A. Designation of Chapters
All Chapters shall be designated as PSFST_____________________ Chapter.
B. Membership of the
Each candidate for membership in a Chapter must also be a member of the Society.
C. Officers of Chapters
The Officers of the Chapters shall be a Chairman, a Vice-Chairman, a Chapter Secretary and a Chapter Treasurer who shall form the Chapter Executive.
D. Duties of Chapter Executive
It shall be the duty of the Chapter Executive:
E. Powers and Duties of the Chapter Chairman
- i. To elect and install its officers at the first chapter meeting after the AGM of the Society in which the elections of the Council were held,
- ii. To have a set of bylaws which shall conform to the Constitution of the Society and that any proposed amendment to the bylaws of the Chapter must be passed and approved by the Executive Council of the Society before adoption by the Chapter,
- iii. To keep a full and proper record of its transactions,
- iv. To make full report thereof annually to the Society by not later than November 30,
- v. To appoint such officers of the Chapter whose elections are not provided in the bylaws,
- vi. To appoint all committees,
- vii. To fill a vacancy in any office for the term of any meeting of the Chapter.
- viii. To appoint a temporary Secretary to act in case the Chapter Secretary is forced to absent from his duties for any period greater than one month.
The Chairman shall have the power:
F. Duties of the Vice-Chairman
- i. To convene meetings of his Chapter whenever he may deem proper, and to preside over such meetings,
- ii. To discharge all the executive functions of the Chapter,
- iii. To ensure that proper returns are annually transmitted to the Society and reports of all meetings are made to the Secretary of the Society by the Chapter Secretary,
- iv. To cause all necessary notices to be issued in the prescribed manner and form,
- v. To sanction all expenditure and operate the Chapter accounts jointly with the Chapter Treasurer.
The Vice-Chairman shall assist the Chairman in the discharge of his duties and shall act in his capacity during his absence and shall enjoy the same powers as the Chapter Chairman.
G. Duties of the Chapter Secretary
H. Duties of the Chapter Treasurer
- i. The Chapter Secretary shall complete minutes of all meetings and shall keep records of all business transacted including all items of receipts and disbursements in a permanently bound and paged record book,
- ii. The Chapter Secretary shall transmit promptly to the Society the names of all applicants for membership, notices of all suspensions and expulsions, applications from other Chapters, transfers from other Chapters, reinstatements, resignations, and deaths, etc.
I. Duties of Chapter Members
- i. The Chapter Treasurer is the custodian of all funds and securities of the Chapter. He shall keep accounts of the Chapter entirely separate and distinct from all others. The account shall be in the name of the Chapter and shall be operated jointly with the President.
- ii. The Chapter Treasurer shall be responsible to get the Chapter accounts audited after the end of each fiscal year.
All other members shall perform such duties as directed by the Chairman or Vice-Chairman, provided that such duties shall, in no way conflict with the regulations of the Chapter or the Constitution of the Society.
J. Annual Reports of the Chapters
K. Chapter Membership Dues
- i. Annual reports of Chapters shall embrace a complete list of officers and members, and activities of the Chapter including elections, suspensions expulsions and reinstatements, etc. with respective details.
- ii. The Annual Reports of the Chapters shall be signed by the Chairman and Secretary of the Chapter and filed with the Secretary on or before the 30th of November each year.
- iii. The Chapter Chairman or Secretary shall present the report in the Annual General Meeting of the Society
Chapter members shall pay yearly fees as may be determined by the Executive Council of the Society and approved by the members at the Annual General Meeting. Proposed annual membership dues for Chapters shall be 50 per cent of the Society dues.
- i. Any Chapter desiring a speaker or other assistance from any one living outside their jurisdiction shall request such speaker through the President of the Society. or through the Chairman of the appropriate Committee appointed by the President.
- ii. The Society shall not be responsible for any debts or obligations entered into by a Chapter.
- iii. The records of the Chapters shall be open to inspection by Officers of the Society on call.
ARTICLE XI: STUDENT CHAPTER
Not less than 15 students pursuing a degree course in food science and technology from any institution in the country may make an application to the Council to organize a Student Chapter. This Student Chapter shall be governed by the same by laws as Local Chapters (Article X) and shall have the same office bearers as the Local Chapters. It shall be designated as "Student Chapter, PSFST ---------- (name of the Institution). The annual dues shall be 50 per cent of the student annual dues of the Society. Each Chairman of the Student Chapter shall be a member of the Executive Council.
ARTICLE XII: CODE ETHICS
The Society expects each member to:
a. strive for self-improvement in his profession,
b. conduct himself at all times to reflect dignity upon the professional capacity,
c. refuse participation in questionable enterprise or any occupation that is contrary to law or public welfare, and
d. guard against unwarranted insinuations that reflect the character or integrity of other fellow scientists.
ARTICLE XIII: AMENDMENT OF ARTICLES/SECTIONS OF THE CONSTITUTION
All or any part of the Constitution of the Society shall be subject to amendment, alteration or repeal as the majority of the two third professional members present may desire at any meeting of the Society provided notice of the proposed amendment was embodied in a call of the meeting.
ARTICLE XIV: DISSOLUTION
In the event dissolution of the Society appears desirable, the Council shall adopt a resolution recommending the dissolution of the Society together with a plan of distribution of assets to the members at a general meeting. The resolution to dissolve the Society will become effective upon approval by two third majority of the members voting.